Slurry Pumps -An Important Asset in the Mining Industry
The slurry pumps play a vital role in the harsh mining landscape. Ensuring pump longevity has historically been a challenge, yet a failure can directly impact output and productivity.
Thankfully, advanced technology now offers multiple solutions to help extend the active life of mining slurry pumps, from seals to lubricants, packing, and right through to innovative monitoring solutions.
And with industry competition becoming ever fiercer, paying close attention to the health of an operation’s slurry pump isn’t just a nice-to-do, it’s an essential requirement for any successful operation.
Slurry Pumps: The challenges
In many cases, slurry pumps work continually in hostile environments. This leads to particularly difficult maintenance due to some, or all, of the following:
- Operating 24/7/365.
- Bearings are continually subjected to vibration.
- Corrosive chemicals, abrasive substances, and moisture continually contaminate the bearings and seals.
- The provision of adequate greasing is complex. It usually requires pumps’ shutdown on a regular basis.
- The risk of over or under-greasing is high. This leads to excessive heat build-up and premature bearing failure.
The overriding issue with the correct working of a slurry pump or sealing system is the difficulty of effective monitoring. If you don’t have real-time data of vibration, temperature, and pressure, then putting a wholly effective maintenance program in place relies more on guesswork than a scientific process.
Slurry Pumps: The solution
Successfully extending the working life of a slurry pump requires a three-pronged approach that addresses the following:
- Effective monitoring
- The right mechanical packing, seals, and lubrication
- Protecting the internal workings of the pump
The right solution can dramatically extend the working life of a slurry pump and reduce the need for costly maintenance shutdowns. Sealing experts have brought innovative solutions to the market designed to be used in both isolation and combination to create a powerful solution to each challenge.